A permanent pacemaker is a minute electronic device that serves to examine the electrical impulse of the heart and regulate it, which in turn adjusts the frequency of the heartbeat. A permanent pacemaker implantation helps to fix the electrical impulse by adjusting the auricles and ventricles of the heart. Cardiac resynchronization therapy is a treatment where a specialized pacemaker regulates the two ventricles to produce electric signals, this therapy is utilised in heart failures.
Permanent pacemakers are composed of a pulse generator and the leads. The pulse generator consists of a battery made of lithium and an electronic circuitry package that has a computer connected to it to monitor the heartbeat. The shelf life of the battery can be more than 10 years. The leads are flexible, insulated wires.
Pacemaker implantation is minimally invasive surgery. The average recovery period is not long or difficult. You may feel pain at the incision site for a few days.
How to choose the best hospital for a permanent pacemaker implantation in Tamil Nadu
Patients seek affordable pacemaker implantation perks at the best hospitals. A majority of cardiac specialty, multi-specialty and super multi-specialty hospitals in India have extremely advanced state-of-the-art equipment. They hold expertise in managing overall heart care treatment and follow-up cardiac treatments. India is one of the best destinations in the world for cardiac procedures.
Patients can get the best and the most coveted cardiac procedures in India. Some are:
- Advanced pacemaker implantation surgery.
- Robotic heart surgery.
- Coronary stenting and angioplasty.
- Minimally invasive valve replacement and many more.
- The pacemaker implantation hospitals in India have a profoundly trained collection of electrophysiologists. They have comprehensive experience in conducting all specialised cardiac procedures.
- Proper arrangements for accelerated rehabilitation services and physiotherapy is also made at the best cardiology hospitals in India.
- Your healthcare provider may request you to limit vigorous activity or not lift heavy objects for a week or two. The incision site is ordinarily completely healed after two or three weeks, and you should have no further constraints.
- You will require having your pacemaker inspected periodically to make sure it is operating normally and its battery has an abundance of energy. Ordinarily, these pacemaker checks can be taken at home, wirelessly, using a special device your healthcare provider will give you for remote follow-up.
Cellphones & pacemakers
One of the constraints after the pacemaker is curbing the use of cell phones. Pacemakers are made in a way that they can endure the interference from analog cellular but digital cellular phones sometimes intervene with the device. It is prudent to keep phones away from the area where the pacemaker is placed, and you should attempt to use headsets as much as feasible.
Do’s and Don’ts for living with permanent pacemaker implantation
- Do not injure the chest area.
- Don’t attempt to dislodge or rotate the instrument located under your skin.
- It is not recommended to be in the same room with a working microwave oven.
- Don’t go through the framework of metal detectors.
- Utilise physiotherapy techniques: magnetic therapy, microwave therapy.
- Don’t stay long in the bath or sauna.
How to choose the best doctor for permanent pacemaker implantation in Tamil Nadu
The best hospital is one that advises you the above points and gets you the after patient care. When it comes to choosing the best doctors for permanent pacemaker implantation, you have to keep in mind the experience of the doctor in the particular field, the rapport of the doctor with other members of the staff and the degrees the doctor has received. Dr M. Venkatesh has many years of experience in this regard, He holds M.D., D.C.H., D.N.B. (Cardio), P.D.F. (Paediatric Cardio) degrees and practices at Dr Murugan Children Clinic in Nagercoil.